Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Happy birthday, sweet boy.

Today is Carter's 13th birthday.



I remember meeting him for the very first time over 7 years ago. At the time, he was 5 yrs old. I remember thinking that he was insanely smart and so friendly for a kid his age. He was sweet. He loved building things and was already reading by that time. He was such a great kid.

Fast forward 7 1/2 years. Not much has changed, really. He's still insanely smart. He's still friendly. He's still sweet and can build just about ANYTHING out of Legos. He still loves to read. He's still an overall great kid.

What has changed as he's grown up? Well, he's a heck of a lot taller now. He's taller than me. Cripes. He's a little sassier. He's so much more logical and is all about the critical thinking. He's becoming a man right before my eyes. *gulp*

Over the years, there has been one big thing about Carter that took me completely by surprise. Even though he doesn't share my DNA, he's more like me that either one of his biological parents. Sure, he looks like a careful blend of his dad and his biological mom, but his personality is so much more like mine that it's a little weird. He worries like I do. He's a great problem solver. On one hand, he's very sensitive and creative, but on the other, is logical and hates chaos. Maybe we're so alike because we share the same astrological sign? After all, our birthdays are only 4 days apart. Or maybe it's because I've been helping to raise him for the last 6 years, and he somehow identifies with me more? It's hard to tell. All I know is that he's a boy version of me, with a Justin Beiber haircut, glasses, and teenage boy clothes. Oh, and at least a full 4 inches taller. Yep... just like me. *snort*

Happy birthday, sweet boy. This momma loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I loooooooove comments. My only rule? Be nice or be deleted.